TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Z has been sitting a long time...what precautions to take?
People Seeking Info

Subject Z has been sitting a long time...what precautions to take?

Posted by ChristopherTheOne on August 19, 2014 at 12:50 AM
  This message has been viewed 198 times.

Message Since my first child was born about 4 years ago, my Z has been covered in the garage with the battery removed.

I'm getting back to where I have time to wrench on her, and I'd like to catch the fall weather with the roof open.

I got the first electrical gremlin licked, and she has power into the cockpit for sure. Clicking the key forward to ON brings the sound of the fuel pump spinning up like it should. AC blower works, as do the wipers. Clock looks strong. Side markers light up, but no-go on the headlights.

My concern is under the hood and in the fuel system. Sitting for so long, I'm guessing the oil (Mobil1 15w50) has completely drained out of the block. The level on the dipstick looks pretty high.

Should I stick a socket on the crank and turn it by hand a few revolutions to lube it up? Maybe a bit of oil into each spark plug hole to speed the process? It's been a while since I really looked at the FSM, but I don't recall there being any way to spin the oil pump without turning the crank.

The brake MC has crystals all over it and the reservoir is empty, which pisses me off because I replaced it with a new unit not long before I garaged her. The clutch cylinder reservoir looks good. The PS fluid reservoir is nearly empty, but I've known the high-pressure hose was leaking for some time, so no surprise there. The radiator took about a pint of water before topping off.

I'm also guessing the gasoline in the tank is worthless at this point? Should I siphon it all out and put in a few gallons of fresh before trying to start it?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.